Sunday, May 7, 2023

Day 2: Pacific Ocean Wheel Dip/Manhattan Beach to Moreno Valley

The Excitement and Ceremonial Wheel Dip

Up at 5 (which assumes we actually slept). Gear all lined up ready to go. Dreamt (twice) that my bike had been stolen (which I guess means I slept at least a bit). 5:30 breakfast. 6:45 bag drop at the van. 7:15 route talk. Deena met me outside the hotel as we were all getting geared up and antsy to get this party started!

Finally rolled as a group from the hotel to Manhattan Beach Pier, along the path I've ridden hundreds of times over the years. Another Catalina-clear day. It was surreal that this journey was finally beginning.  





We FaceTimed Ben and Alana then headed toward the ocean for the ceremonial wheel dip (rear wheel in Pacific, hoping for front wheel in Atlantic when it ends). All a bit frantic, and still needed to get the sand out our toes for another 80+ mile ride, but very exciting.

Today's Ride

The Stats

84 miles
3,005 ft. climbing
Milestones: Pacific Ocean Wheel Dip -- Let's get this party started!

Miles Completed: 84
Miles to Go: 3,312   
States Visited: 1 of 15
Feet Climbed: 3,005

The Ride

For those who know the area, it's a steep climb up from the pier, but relatively short, and then we were -- FINALLY - off. Groups formed and reformed as we found those at our pace. I was thrilled not to be the slowest and found the benefits of riding with a group -- especially with the nice tailwind we had all day! We had lots of stops and starts with lights getting out of LA toward Anaheim, but at least traffic was relatively light. 

I really enjoyed the Santa Ana trail, where I had never been -- and even chatted with a guy who had done the trip in 2012 with Crossroads (he assured me I'd have a great time!). There was a nice stretch with orange groves and sweet-smelling flowers, and the first glimpse of snow-covered mountains that didn't quite look real, like they were painted on the sky. (Pics don't do it justice.)

After a 5 mile or so climb around mile 75, we rolled into Moreno Valley, and the Hampton Inn & Suites -- the rooms are fine and spacious, complete with an ironing board which we were told makes a great make-shift laundry line -- but sadly no hotel bar. At least I found a local cafe for a salad and beer!

The Route and Stats

Here's what Strava had to say about today (you can sign up for free and follow me at: https://www.strava.com/athletes/16400741

The Crossroads Crew

The group is a very affable collection of mostly contemporaries, some a bit older, others just a bit younger, with the exception of a father and 20-something-year-old son. Several hail from England, one from Scotland, and there's an Italian living in the UK, with the rest of the group comprised of Americans from all across the country (but no New Yorkers!). Some are retired, others are between gigs, and others like me took time off from work. Several doctors and former doctors and nurses. There are two married couples (though it seems like most of those traveling solo have been married for longer than we have!). Several others are raising money for charity, like me (you can donate here). We're all just getting acquainted, but it seems like a great group.

And now, at 8:42 PT, it's time for bed. Tomorrow is a 90-miler... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post-Ride Reflections and Ramblings

I Did It! (And Happy July 4th!) https://give.michaeljfox.org/fundraiser/4506974 I did it. It's over. I rode my bike across the USA. 3400...