Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Day 12: Gallup to Grants, NM

https://give.michaeljfox.org/barbarasbigride

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/121416507

The Ride

The Stats

66 miles
1,332 ft. climbing
Top elevation: 7295 ft. at the Continental Divide

Miles Completed: 789
Miles to Go: 2,607   
States Visited: 3 of 15
Feet Climbed: 32,279

The Ride

We left this morning to cool temps (first time I wore an extra layer) and relatively clear skies along the historical Route 66 again.


A couple-block detour revealed some colorful murals. 
After another stretch of somewhat sad motels, that no doubt were much happier back in the day, it was back on the I-40, but fortunately only for about 11 miles, and not a bad stretch at that -- except for a patch where construction closed the shoulder and one lane, so we traveled as a group and were followed by the Crossroads van for protection.

We exited at the Continental Divide, where we all took the requisite sign photos and I got some great "lean" photos. At 28 miles, it was the only SAG given the relatively short 66-mile day. Somehow it felt like another milestone, even though there was no major climb to get there (as it would have at other points along the Divide) and it doesn't even come close to dividing the country in half! 


We were now off the interstate for good (or so we were told), and back on (can you guess?) Historic Route 66. 

You may ask why we bothered to get on I-40 and didn't just stay on Rte 66 (where we could get our kicks, if you remember the old song). Apparently, after WWII, the road was in disrepair and needed expansion due to the volume of traffic. Rather than investing in this route, planners diverted or realigned the route to make it more direct (from Chicago to Santa Monica), and so we have to ride on the interstate to connect the dots.

It was on this stretch of 66 (the modern-day Rte 122) where I saw what was likely a large curled up "bad animal," at first mistaken for a torn up rubber tire section. For those of you who know of my snake phobia, you KNOW I didn't stop to take any pictures, and was proud that though I screamed I didn't fall off my bike or otherwise totally freak out. 

This must've been the day for animal encounters, as I also got twice chased by dogs -- one a pretty intimidating German Shepherd when I attempted to circle back to photograph an old Rambler in front of what I think was a post office. Fortunately once off the driveway, the dog didn't give chase. Shortly after passing a home on the opposite side of the road there were two or three dogs (also unfenced), who definitely were responsible for a higher average speed than I would've otherwise had. They didn't look too intimidating, but they were VERY fast! Fortunately, all ended without incident.



Earlier than any day so far, we rolled into our destination town. I found most of the group at a coffee shop, including Todd, who had promised to meet me at the brewery just a mile shy of the hotel. He thought it would've taken me much longer to arrive, but he doesn't know how much my average speed increases when I'm riding for beer (or being chased by dogs)! 

Since we had enough time for both, I stopped for a brief coffee with the group and some photos in town.

Junkyard Brewery

And then it was off to the Junkyard Brewery -- what a find (thanks, Todd!). Definitely the highlight of the day.
It's actually a working junkyard, craft brewery, and smoked BBQ  sandwich joint. A few others joined us a bit later, and we all relaxed and enjoyed until our rooms were ready (and fortunately just a mile away!).

The Junkyard Brew Crew

Bikes in the brewery.

We also met a man who was walking from Mexico to Canada along the Continental Divide Trail. Just a reminder that when you think you're doing something a bit crazy, there's someone out there doing something crazier still!





Michael is the smoker and grillmaster. His brother is the brewer.




Employee of the Day

Duh. Of course it's Michael. He really made the day. He even offered to deliver growlers (large containers of draft beer, though I'm told it means something more nasty in British English!) to the hotel, or come fetch us by car to come back for dinner. As we were all pretty beat despite the "easy" day, and no one else was taking the bait, we just went with the regularly scheduled program for food near the hotel. No comment other than that there were very limited options.

I'll also give a shout out to Peyton, our head mechanic, who gave my chain a nice degreasing and cleaning at the end of the ride. I'll especially appreciate that the next couple days, when we have a bit more climbing. Thanks, Peyton!


Tomorrow, our cue sheets will literally "point me, in the direction of Al-bu-quer-que...." Maybe I can get the actual singer of the group to join me in a rendition!








 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Post-Ride Reflections and Ramblings

I Did It! (And Happy July 4th!) https://give.michaeljfox.org/fundraiser/4506974 I did it. It's over. I rode my bike across the USA. 3400...