Thursday, May 18, 2023

Day 13: Grants to Albuquerque, NM

https://give.michaeljfox.org/barbarasbigride

Today’s Ride

The Stats

79 miles (including the 2 miles before I forgot to turn on the Garmin-- when will I learn??)
2,041 ft. climbing

Miles Completed: 868
Miles to Go: 2,528   
States Visited: 3 of 15
Feet Climbed: 34,330

The Ride Soundtrack

Our destination was Albuquerque. The Partridge Family song had been playing in my head for longer than I can explain. So I just had to sing it, and was fortunate to have some backup singers join me for the tune! Despite my inability to carry a tune, it got a great energy going to start the ride! Planning for more support for tomorrow's soundtrack. And so the Route Rap Rappers were born...

The Ride

This ride had wheeeee's and whoa's. We started out to cool temps in the low 60's on one of the most glorious stretches of road (once again, the historic route 66). Smooth pavement, tailwinds, gentle downhill, and virtually no cars. I could've done this all day. There was definitely a testosterone group at the front of the pack boasting average speeds of over 25 mph to the first SAG, but even I averaged over 17 mph, which is very fast for me. I did regret not stopping for some more pictures, especially of this unique lava field, complete with bike-color-coordinated orange and purple cactus flowers, but sometimes it's hard to know just when to stop, when a moment is one of many, and when the landscape is going to dramatically change so that the moment is gone. I need to remember to follow my own advice stop and smell the roses, or at least the cacti, when the moment strikes!

The area was very remote and seemed very depressed. More junk yards, strewn tires, abandoned school buses (often filled to the brim with not sure what), and dilapidated buildings than I've seen anywhere. Though many of those junkyards had some classic-looking cars that you could picture visiting the now-closed motels and trading posts (and even evoked images of my parents' cross-country road trip when they were first married), it was a bit tricky to stop at those junk yards because just when you think they're deserted you're greeted by a junk yard dog (think, "Bad, bad, Leroy Brown, baddest man in the whole damn town, badder than old King Kong, meaner than a junk yard dog..."). So I stopped at a small church instead!

Snapped this before I could get chased!

The other fauna of the day were mostly cows and horses, though some said there were wild mustangs crossing the road as well! Again, took mental snapshots that didn't make it to the iPhone.

The landscape varied from the lava rocks to pastures, and then transitioned once again to the red rock formations and striations, none of which translate well into photos. But here's what I've got (I even stopped on a downhill to snap this).

I did take my own advice and pay tribute to Vietnam veterans at this "Official Scenic Historical Marker."


As we're still following the Santa Fe Railway line, I'm recalling hours spent in our basement with those Lionel trains and my dad. Priceless memories evoked by trains stretching as far as the eye could see (the photo would have been better if I could've climbed to that rise just a bit faster, but you get the idea!)
All were chipper at the first SAG, and even those of us in the "early" group (translation: the slower ones) rolled into SAG around the same time as the speed demons!

After the SAG, despite what we were told last night, there was still another 20-mile slog back on the I-40 where we resumed the shoulder obstacle course to avoid those pesky wires -- traffic seemed particularly brisk and closer to the shoulder than in the past, and despite the downhill and tailwinds (and even a few rain sprinkles, but nothing too steady for too long!), the rough pavement and engine roars made these miles a tough slog -- the Whoaaaaaa portion of the ride, in that I wished it would stop!

We then had a steady climb for a few miles, with temperatures rising, but were rewarded with expansive views of Albuquerque and soaring downhill into the city. Took the time to stop for a few photos, as it was too early to get into our hotel rooms.


At the Rio Grande, the soundtracks of the moment were Duran Duran ("Her name is Rio, and she dances on the sand, just like that river twisting through a dusty land, And when she shines she really shows you all she can, oh Rio, Rio dance across the Rio Grande"). I'll spare you the audio as no one actually recorded that one -- but we had a moment! (Also thinking of Billy Joel's "Billy the Kid," who was a "legend in his time, east and west of the Rio Grande"!)



Of course, I took the obligatory city sign and bike lean photos as well.
Albuquerque bike lean


I declined the offer to join some for fish and shrimp tacos outside of town (though I heard they were delicious!), and ventured into Old Town. 

I sought out and found the new Sawmill Food Market and Flora Restaurant for a PL (proper lunch). Delicious tacos and salad, with a Chardonnay to boot, and a perfect place for the bike within close view. (Only wish I hadn't still been in my bike shorts, but such are the sacrifices we make for a PL!)

Employee of the Day

I enjoyed talking with my server Kyky (pronounced Kay-kay) at Flora. She was super accommodating as I clip-clopped in with my bike and likely stinky attire! She was very attentive, made great recommendations, and wished me safe travels. 

Long climbing day tomorrow that I'm going to try to push through, as hopefully Ben will have conquered the flight cancellations and delays and actually be in Santa Fe tomorrow by the time I arrive!

2 comments:

  1. So, when stopping at a restaurant along the way, do you bring your bike inside? Park it outside? Are you traveling with some sort of lock?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. In this case, I brought my bike in and put it on the patio -- I was eating at the window table with a bird's eye view of it the whole time, and it seemed very safe. When we were in Jerome, for example, several people had retractable locks which wouldn't keep someone from cutting them but are sufficient to serve as a deterrent. When we went to the Junkyard Brewery we brought them into "garage" part of the brewery. Generally folks are pretty accommodating. When going into a store at a SAG/rest stop, there's generally staff or other riders who can watch the bikes. Happy to chat more about all these kinds of logistics when I get back! FYI, I bought a retractable lock in Flagstaff. Have used it once but again, don't think it's generally necessary.

      Delete

Post-Ride Reflections and Ramblings

I Did It! (And Happy July 4th!) https://give.michaeljfox.org/fundraiser/4506974 I did it. It's over. I rode my bike across the USA. 3400...