Saturday, May 20, 2023

Day 15: Santa Fe Rest Day Reflections

Ahhhh, a day of rest.

Two weeks down. Five to go. The miles and days keep ticking off in an increasingly familiar routine—ride, rinse, eat, sleep, eat, repeat! It’s a magic formula for consuming more calories than when pregnant yet actually losing weight! 

I’ll keep it brief today as Ben made the journey to visit me even for the short amount of time I’m free. So great to see him and appreciative of the time together!



I was actually a bit sad to leave the group for what promises to be a fun day exploring downtown Santa Fe. And ironically it was the first hotel with its own bar and restaurant so I wonder what sort of festivus I missed last night. As we are out of town a bit it’s unlikely we’ll leave the resort but I’m hoping they’ll share some photos to complete the narrative! Despite the FOMO, I can’t complain about the creature comforts and peaceful mountain setting, and I’m anxiously awaiting my 2:30 massage!

Reflections and Observations (in no particular order)

  • This journey is not the best way to do traditional sightseeing but it’s a great way to see (and smell and feel) the sights, mostly the micro and the macro but not the usual attractions in between. Actually thinking an RV might be the way to do that!
  • There’s comfort in routines and predictability, even at the Comfort Inns of the world. 
  • A cross-country bike ride is not predictable. You’ve got to roll with whatever each day throws at you. And the only way to keep rolling is to keep pedalling!
  • Micro goals may be the only way to reach macro ones. Each goal met is an accomplishment. 
  • I rode past what may have been a live snake and screamed but didn’t jump or fall off my bike. Small mission accomplished. 
  • Being chased by dogs is a bit scary. Less so on a downhill when they are on the other side of the road. 
  • Speaking of which, take advantage of the downhill rides on the road and in life. They just may power you through the uphills!
  • Riding in the rain sucks. Period. The silver lining is that if the sun comes out you just may see a rainbow (though maybe that's another reference that needs to wait for Kansas)?
  • The free breakfasts with omelets are the best--especially if they're made with real eggs. 
  • The breakfasts with Bloody Mary’s are better!
Tomorrow it's off to Las Vegas (New Mexico, not the other one). Working on the soundtrack for the day! We may just cross the 1,000 mile mark. Jill (our resident statistician) reports that we're more than 1/4 through the whole ride, which feels like progress! Weather could be dicey the next few days, but that's a gravity issue that I can't control and I'm not going to worry about it now. Just going to enjoy my day of rest.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Post-Ride Reflections and Ramblings

I Did It! (And Happy July 4th!) https://give.michaeljfox.org/fundraiser/4506974 I did it. It's over. I rode my bike across the USA. 3400...