Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Day 5: Blythe, CA to Wickenburg, Az


Today's Ride

115.08 miles
3,622 feet of climbing (nothing steep, but lots of "sneaky" 1-2% grades and a bit more)

This morning involved a bit of rabble-rousing (think protected concerted activity under the NLRB (PL L&E Team, you know what that is)) for tour group participants! Given the length of the day, I was hoping to start earlier than the 7:30 official sendoff. Not sure why it has to be "that time" but a small group of us rebelled and took off about 15 minutes early. We were probably "unsupported" by SAG (by virtue of leaving early) for less than 1/2 hour until the faster riding group caught up and we were back "on route." Left in a bit of a flurry just to get out 10 minutes early but ultimately got it done (as predicted, one of the last in by around 5:30).

I confess that I don't have much left in me (and we have 60+ miles with 6K feet of climbing tomorrow!) so will keep it short tonight, and apologies if not well formatted, but highlights of the day included:
  • 1st of 15 state line crossings, though somehow no one seemed to have gotten the photo on the bridge of the Colorado River, which marks the boundary.
  • A frightening sharp curved metal object that lodged in my rear wheel and made a clicking sound but miraculously didn't puncture the tube (thanks to my sacrifice to the flat tire gods when entering Palm Springs!).
  • Exiting the I-10.
  • The downhill after exiting the I-10 which literally made me say "wheeeeeeeee"!
  • The "pulls" I got from various generous tour members and staff throughout the day.
  • Paula and Dana being in the right place when I needed them to adjust my seat, to ward off pain that could've ended my day!
  • The once again blue skies with better (cooler) temps than yesterday.
  • Playing a bit of Harry Belafonte along the ride in memory of my parents -- they were fans, as am I.
  • Funny signs at the first SAG stop (life has gotten very simple), having something to do with butts, and a tour member baring his!
  • The SAG stop with actual sandwiches rather than just goo, bars, etc. (see how simple life has gotten?).
  • The next SAG stop with woopie pies (res ipsa loquitur re simplicity!).
  • Chatting with Ben on the phone (only one ear pod) while riding on AZ 60 when I was having a hard time getting through some of those last 25 miles.
  • Good local amber beer (if only I remembered what it was) when I finally arrived at dinner at the Mecca Bar & Grill.

First state line crossing

The rabble-rousing riders

Another Arizona sign







Entering cactus country -- blooming octotillo against crystal blue skies!

Downtown Wickenburg


Ah, nothing like a cold beer after a ride -- brings me back to my #PMC days!

The long, chipsealed, and straight Rte 60!


Funny signs


Jean, a fellow PMC'er for 17 years on Team Perry

Salome historical market

My bike leaning against cactus scrub

Employee(s) of the Day

The lovely servers at the Mecca Bar and Grill get today's commendation. They served a group of 25+ hungry, thirsty riders scattered at multiple tables and arriving in dribs and drabs. I didn't envy their jobs at the moment, though they did them well and efficiently, and even made time to take some group photos of us all. Thanks, guys!

 

1 comment:

  1. Inspiring and descriptive! Thinking of you every day!

    ReplyDelete

Post-Ride Reflections and Ramblings

I Did It! (And Happy July 4th!) https://give.michaeljfox.org/fundraiser/4506974 I did it. It's over. I rode my bike across the USA. 3400...