Thursday, May 11, 2023

Day 6: Wickenburg to Prescott AZ


Today's Ride

The Stats

60 miles
5705 ft. climbing, including Yarnell Pass
Top elev: 6100 feet

Note: This was the day with the biggest total ascent of the entire trip. Yesterday was the day with the most miles. Glad to have them both behind us!

The Ride

Epic day, epic climbs. From desert to mountains, with horse ranches in between. The deceptively "short" day lulled me into a sense of complacency, but almost crushed me. I'll know better next time!

Started out a bit fatigued from yesterday, but feeling good on a couple early climbs. Enjoyed a nice easy pace, soaking up another weather-perfect day (70's to start, and never got above the low 80's, with sunshine all the way!) and glorious desert scenery. 


Cacti Phallacti, as my dad would've called them!

I even enjoyed the challenging climb up the Yarnell Pass (elev. 4780, about 2500 ft. above Wickenburg where we started the day). The terrain and road was reminiscent of the 9-mile Latigo Canyon climb in Malibu (one of my personal favs), minus the ocean views and breeze (and also minus the motorcycle clubs!) 
That's the road we're about to climb

Once again, I benefitted from the presence of a well-timed support van where I could adjust my contacts, which had come out of place while wiping the sweat out of my eyes trying desperately not to get sunscreen in them (yes, I was wearing sunscreen -- 50 spf!).

Finally arrived at Yarnell (elev. 4850), literally "where the desert breeze meets the mountain air."





This bus was parked in a local driveway. Seemed ironic, given our journey.

My difficulties began at the SAG stop, where I nostalgically chowed down a Twinkie. Probably the first one I've had in 30 or 40 years. It tasted like childhood (or maybe late nights in college!), but all the sugar crashed me and made me want to nap like a baby, even while I was riding. I might've curled up under a shade tree if there had been any! I just couldn't get the pedals to turn or get any momentum. No doubt this also was in part because we were riding a "false flat" -- a road that looks straight and flat but actually is a long gradual climb. Combined with some crosswind gusts, it nearly crushed me. 

But the Country Store stop saved me. Fueled up with a highly caffeinated coffee drink, some nuts, and cheese, I was getting ready to go again--but not before chatting with some locals. One guy I talked to asked where we were going and I replied, "Boston." He said simply, "WHY?" (Good question -- but this is coming from someone who said he walked (literally) from Boston to the Dakotas, so I thought, "Who is he to ask why?") 

Then there was Daniel, and his dog Bear, who recently moved to the area, and seemed impressed by the fact we were about to go up the Rt. 89 pass to Prescott. He was just a smiling, positive guy, happy to have a selfie with me to mark the moment. (At one point in my mental planning, I thought of taking a selfie-a-day with someone I met...maybe I'll pursue that...but I digress!) He proudly declared: "I used to be rich and miserable. Now I'm poor and happy." His message? It's better to be happy and poor than miserable and rich. Pearls of wisdom to live by. Wish I had more time to get his "riches to rags" story, but I still had 18 miles to go -- not usually much distance, but given that I had been averaging about 5 miles an hour on the hills, I was still looking at another few hours of riding and needed to move on. We had a hug, and I felt renewed all around. The power of random interactions with strangers is woefully underrated.

The final climbs (about 10 miles in total) were also Latigo-like -- never too steep, stunning views, ponderosa pines (compared to the cactus-strewn early climbs) -- and all seemed within reach. The ride topped out at 6100 ft, and I was starting to feel the altitude (so much so I severely curtailed -- to 1 glass of chardonnay-- my alcohol intake tonight!). Of course, the reward of the climb is the downhill, which did not disappoint, and took me into the town of Prescott.



Prescott is a charming "western" town with history, though it seems to have been recently gentrified a bit -- so much so that you could get a protein smoothie on the main street (I stopped for one, figuring my trainer would approve of that more than my usual beverages!)

Our hotel (Springhill Suites by Marriott) was also the best of the lot so far -- new, clean, and spacious rooms (actually, sort of suites!), with the requisite ironing board turned laundry line!
)
If you ever wondered who uses hotel ironing boards, now you know!

Dinner was on our own, and I found a local place called Farm Provisions. Not sure I ordered the right thing, but think I was too exhausted to eat much or think anything. Ended the night with ice cream at Frannie's, where I ran into the tour ice cream afficianados. I'm not sure how my "cones" they rated the place, bur for me it hit the bid!

Tomorrow sounds like a relatively easy day (fewer miles and climbing than today), but I'm skeptical. Oh, and I've officially been deemed part of the "slow" group that's "allowed" to leave earlier than scheduled to give us more time to get the ride done. Woo-hoo!

Employee(s) of the Day

There were two standouts today. Sherrie was at the front desk of the Best Western in Wickenburg. She went the extra mile to ensure we had enough ice water to fill our water bottles and camelpacks and thanked us for being guests of the hotel. And the hotel gave each of us goodie bags on arrival (bottle of water, banana, and an apple). Thanks, Sherrie and the Best Western Team!

On a more personal note, Ruth from the Holiday Inn Express & Suites came to my rescue. Yesterday, to add to my frustrations and exhaustion at the end of a long ride, I realized I had left my Theragun messager (a birthday gift from my girls) at one of the previous hotels. When they confirmed it wasn't in Blythe, I contacted Ruth in Indio, who had been out for a day or so, but assured me she would check and get back to me today. And fortunately, they found the messager (which I desperately need now!) and promised to get it fed-exed to me at a future location. Thanks, Ruth!

That's all I've got for tonight! And tomorrow, I ride on!

3 comments:

  1. Fabulous! Keep up the sunscreen and ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I've ridden up Latigo and the climbs into Prescott, I never made the connection. You're right, the same but different. Despite the lack of an ocean view, I found the ride into Prescott a highlight of the trip SC. Stay safe, Jim XC09, ES11, XC17

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for all of this fun news. I am loving following your journey and interactions with the world.

    ReplyDelete

Post-Ride Reflections and Ramblings

I Did It! (And Happy July 4th!) https://give.michaeljfox.org/fundraiser/4506974 I did it. It's over. I rode my bike across the USA. 3400...