Friday, May 12, 2023

Day 7: Prescott to Cottonwood AZ (via Jerome)

 https://give.michaeljfox.org/barbarasbigride

Today's Ride

The Stats

45 miles
2720 ft. climbing, including Mingus Mountain
Top elevation: 7023 feet

Miles Completed: 489
Miles to Go: 2,907
States Visited: 2 of 15 
Feet Climbed: 19,931

The Ride

Another epic day and epic ride, in the best sense. Despite my mistrust, this truly was a shorter day all around, which makes for extra recovery time and a more relaxing ride overall. 

The day was another cerulean sky day, with temps in the 50's when we set out, warming up to the 70's during our climb, and topping out at 90 when we descended into Cottonwood. We're told this was exceptionally fortunate all around - usually it's either much hotter or freezing! 

We started out on a frighteningly busy "highway" with lots of exit and entry ramps that actually had cars using them (contrary to the I-10, where there were very few and they took you nowhere!). A bit hairy, but at least it was mostly downhill. 

Then there were another few miles of those sneaky false flats -- but the weather was so spectacular that I was just soaking up the sights, sounds (lots of birds!) and fresh air. 
And then we climbed....

The false flats became real hills, complete with switchbacks and spectacular views. Several of us stopped along the way, feeling the awesomeness (in the true meaning of the word) of it all, knowing that no iPhone would ever properly capture the moment or convey the scale or scope of what we were seeing and experiencing. But we stopped for lots of photos nonetheless! 






The climb itself once again was reminiscent of training rides I've done in California, but with more dramatic scenery and higher altitude, which I definitely started to feel around 6000 feet. I was pleased with myself for not having had too much to drink the night before, as the summit of the pass was over 7100 feet.


This also was the first day of the official "early start" for the slower among us. I'm not proud. I was among them. It also meant that I got to ride more in the company of others, though no one was pace-lining this ride. It was just comforting to see other riders on the road and not necessarily be the last one into SAG or the hotel. 

There was a moment over the pass when I literally cried out in joy and nearly teared up. I can't explain it. I've been in this area before -- actually I have been on this road decades ago on a trip with Ben. I've been privileged to travel to other awe-inspiring places but never have I been brought to tears, or even close. I think it's something about the journey, and experiencing the landscape of this great nation (yes, it is still a great nation, whatever else is going on...) on two wheels, without a motor, in the open air -- perhaps that's the differentiator. Of course, there are no pictures of that moment, as I was on those two wheels, trying to control my speed and watch the road and not do anything too stupid. And the photos I took really don't quite translate, so I'll just have to channel the mental moment. 
The colorful mesa in the background was awe-inspiring. My photography skills less so!


Jerome, AZ

We stopped for an early lunch at the Haunted Hamburger in Jerome, an old mining village a few miles down from the peak.


I confess even the thought of a hamburger or its equivalent at 11 a.m. while still biking was not appealing. The strawberry milkshake, however, was outstanding. Thanks, Pam, for making it so delicious.

Since we didn't have far to go to the hotel, and we were promised that it was all downhill (it was!), I explored a bit in Jerome, including the mine face where we met some "Ghost Hunters" who wanted to take photos of us crazy bikers. I wanted to take photos of the crazy "Ghost Hunters" and they kindly obliged. I hope they found what they were looking for!



I had vague memories of visiting the town with Ben decades ago on a trip to Sedona and the Grand Canyon, so I took some photos to compare to what I probably have in some photo album at home. Cute town.

The Haunted Hamburger is up above, with nice views from the deck seating.








Courtesy of one of our tour mates who actually stopped to photo what I mentally did!

On the way out of town, I stopped into a delightfully decorated local wine tasting room, Zona Vino, and spent time talking to Bonnie (no, I didn't sample anything!). Apparently, the Valle Verde of Arizona has had quite the wine-making boom in recent years, and there's even a "Cottonwood Wine Trail." Bonnie said that southern Arizona is great for growing Malbec, as the climate is similar to Argentina. Go figure!

Cottonwood, AZ

It was definitely a wheeeeeeee downhill ride into Cottonwood. I'm so glad we didn't have to work too hard, as the temperature was a-risin' (higher, higher)! Our bags were waiting for us and thanks to my Double Star Coaching patches, mine are always easily identifiable.

Bonnie (from the tasting room) had told me they had a tasting room in Old Town Cottonwood. I tried to get into town to sample some for myself AFTER the ride was over, but alas, we weren't within post-ride walking distances, Ubers have not made it to Cottonwood, and even taxi service seemed unreliable. So I settled for some cold takeaway beer from the Plaza Bonita, conveniently located across from the hotel parking lot. My Angel (literally, that's his name) was kind enough to oblige with some photos. When he told his colleague what we were doing (i.e. biking to Boston), once again I was greeted with the retort, "WHY?" I'm sensing a theme here...

Then, Cerveza in hand, I ventured where I had never gone before...

Dinner was at the Black Bear Diner, but I pre-gamed at the Cork & Catch (about 1/2 mile away), where I enjoyed a delicious Thai-flavored salad and glass of Gruner Veltiner. Ahhhh, real food!

Tomorrow it's off to Flagstaff for our much needed (and dare I say much earned) rest day. We head through Sedona, one of the more beautiful places I've ever been. Despite the climb to Flagstaff (elev. 6910), I suspect the scenery won't disappoint and hopefully will distract from the grade! Now it's off to fold that freshly washed laundry!

Employee(s) of the Day

Given the laundry folding and other demands on my time before my 5:15 a.m. alarm, see the descriptions and photos of Pam, Bonnie, and Angel above!















2 comments:

  1. Barb, I’m following your daily posts. Having completed my life’s journey to pedal across the USA, I know the answer to the Question that you (and I) often hear of ‘Why?’ I rode in recent annual segments, from my ‘wheel dip’ in Atlantic Ocean at Hilton Head Island, SC to Mt Rushmore; I completed my journey this past summer with my ‘wheel dip’ in the Pacific Ocean at Astoria, OR ending at Mt Rushmore.
    I think your biking group’s map shows that you’ll be biking through my beautiful state of Ohio - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet another remarkable day! Love reading this and so honored to call you a friend!

    ReplyDelete

Post-Ride Reflections and Ramblings

I Did It! (And Happy July 4th!) https://give.michaeljfox.org/fundraiser/4506974 I did it. It's over. I rode my bike across the USA. 3400...