Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Day 40: Niles, OH to Erie, PA

Today's Ride (Happy Flag Day)

The Stats 

90 miles
1,982 ft. climbing 

Miles Completed: 2,841
Miles to Go: 555 -- close enough to know soon if my math works!
States Visited: 11 of 15
Total Climbed: 88,408 ft.

The highlights: Leaving Ohio (Go Blue!!!), crossed into 11th state

The challenges: Rain, rain again, and crosswinds (again), and 390 miles in 4 days

The Ride

A challenging day!
Rain, rain, go away...please! While the rain had subsided a bit from the earlier morn, it was still raining enough when I left (after dawdling until about 7:20!) to soak my shoes and feet within 5 minutes from the hotel. Winds were howling (fortunately not directly in our faces) and it was generally unpleasant. You have to dig deep to set out for a 90 mile ride in those conditions. But having come so far, no way was I NOT going do it!

Within a few miles, the rain had stopped -- at least for the time being -- but I was already soggy and a bit chilled, with temps in the low 50's. Started to kick myself for not waiting a bit longer to leave, until it started raining again! 

It was on and off all day, including some threatening thunderstorms, though it made for some dramatic skies, and a nice backdrop for the pink barn (only one I've seen!) along the ride. 



With all that said, the route once again was generally pleasant, though some of the road surfaces were rougher than the past few days. I got my first personal horse and buggy photo (they waved as they went by, so hopefully I didn't offend anyone by taking the picture!).



My Flag Day photos...

We crossed into Pennsylvania, our 11th state out of 15, shortly after the second SAG. Gene's sister-in-law, who surprised him, was kind enough to take my photo by the sign! 

At some point, the wheat fields gave way to grape vineyards - it appears they're trying to make wine touring "a thing" in these parts as well. I think we'll see more as we head north from Erie.

For once, the last 20 miles or so were some of the better parts of the ride. Good road, mostly tailwinds, flat terrain, and good company with Fred (one of the road staff who recently joined the trip ), who rode  with me for much of it. 

The birds were also particularly notable, including one that may have been a blue heron, indicating proximity to the water (at least in my mind). It escaped before I could photograph it, but it was a pleasure to watch. 

Speaking of proximity to the water, we're staying at the Courtyard Marriott right on Lake Erie, where I've now heard seagulls and clanging halyards from the nearby marina -- happy childhood sounds, at least when the seagulls aren't dumping on your head!

 
Post-ride beer number ?????
I enjoyed my immediate post-ride beer, followed by the other critical food groups at a quiet and fairly tasty dinner next door at the Sheraton (known to our family as one of Hil[ton]'s and Carl[ton]'s siblings!), with some post-dinner libations at the hotel bar -- it was, after all, a rest day when we didn't have to get up at 5 or ride anywhere!)

Might explore a bit of Erie, though a quick pass through the downtown didn't look too promising and the part they were trying to make a "thing" seemed to be much under construction. 
Steph and I enjoying waterfront sunset

Rest day libation...


And just a few more shots from the ride into Erie...

Soundtrack of the Day

Though it would be hard to ever top yesterday's "My Sweet Vagine..." our rendition of the Michigan fight song (my subtle dig at THE Youknowwhat State) was a hit, and included a shout out to our groupie Todd!

No big plans for the day -- laundry done late last night and bike washed even before my post-ride beer!--  so rest day reflections will follow later...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post-Ride Reflections and Ramblings

I Did It! (And Happy July 4th!) https://give.michaeljfox.org/fundraiser/4506974 I did it. It's over. I rode my bike across the USA. 3400...