Thursday, June 15, 2023

Day 41: Erie, PA Rest Day Reflections

https://give.michaeljfox.org/barbarasbigride

The Home Stretch

It's hard to believe I'm in Erie, PA, and I biked here from California. We had a really tough week last week, made all the more challenging not only by the mileage, but the most adverse weather we've had to date (admittedly, we had been quite lucky so far). But reaching the final rest stop, and knowing there's just a week to go, makes it all so finite. Then again, each day is different, and there's no predicting what new challenges you will face each day. So I'll continue with the one day at a time approach. 

Fundraising Finish Line in Sight, Too!

With our cycling finish line in sight, I'm also shockingly close to my fundraising goal . As of today I’ve raised $31,511 of my $33,960 goal. While initially daunting, that goal too seems within reach thanks to so many of you who have been following this journey. But a special shout out goes to those people who were mere strangers — like Gina and Rod who I met at the bar in Wooster— and an old friend from college who I haven’t been in touch with in decades and who must’ve seen my posts either on Facebook or LinkedIn who generously donated to this crazy ride of mine. Thank you all around and looking forward to crossing both finish lines soon!!!

A Little Bit of Erie and Beyond

This morning, I took a stroll along the waterfront to the Bicentennial Tower (where, for better or worse, the stair access to the top was closed so I had to take the elevator without torturing myself about whether I should make the climb!). 



Before going in, I spent some time chatting with Debra and her Morkie (part maltese, part yorkie, very cute) — about journeys and farming. They have a farm and one grandchild is raising a steer. Another is raising a pig for a 4-h project. And another granddaughter just won some rodeo championship. Certainly a far cry from the "after school activities" our kids did, though I did have one horseback rider, and we all went to National Finals Rodeo in Las Vegas for her 8th birthday! We chatted a bit more about farms and farming. She confirmed that dairy farms really stink badly (and differently than feed lots) but didn’t know why. But more importantly, she wanted people to understand how hard farmers work when they complain about the price of milk -- and that it wasn't the farmers making all the extra money. 

As I mentioned yesterday, we're staying right on the lake. A brief detour inland suggested that the downtown has seen better days, though there's a part they seem keen to revive. There are a few pubs and a food court featuring local chefs (no chain foods!) and with a lively bar that opened in 2021. They are building new condos next door, and much of the few-block section of town is under construction. But I guess it's all a promising sign, rather than letting it all languish. 

The Flagship City Food Hall was my choice for lunch. I got a delicious noodle stir fry from none other than Noodle Love, accompanied by some very drinkable Chardonnay from Lodi (it even had a cork!) at Perry's Pizza and Tavern, followed by indulgent ice cream from The Straw Hat Sundae Shop. The place had a local lunchtime buzz, all enhanced by chatting with Taylor, who grew up in Erie, and enjoys it as a nice place to live. She provided great service and was a pleasure to chat with.  
Thanks, Taylor!

Rest Day Ramblings

Here we go...as you know by now, in no order of importance to anyone!
  • We're almost there...
  • We're not there yet.
  • You never know what the next day will bring. Weather forecasts are often wrong. Except when they're not.
  • In the words of Natasha Bedingfield (as Ben corrected me, not Colbie Caillat!), the rest is still Unwritten: "so close you can almost taste it..."  Actually, I didn't realize how apt that song was until I reminded myself of the rest of the lyrics: 
"Reaching for something in the distance
So close you can almost taste it
Release your inhibitions
Feel the rain on your skin [like in OHIO!]
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten..."

  • I'm drawn to water. It's my peace place.
  • Water feels like home. Maybe because I grew up across the street from a marina, learning to love the distinct smell of low tide and the sound of clanging halyards. Maybe it's because I'm a Pisces.
  • I don't believe in horoscopes and never read them, but given what I've just written, it's almost eerie what mine said today when I googled Pisces to make sure my mush brain was spelling it right: 
  • Jun 15, 2023 - It's certainly clear that you have faith in your actions, Pisces! You feel no fear or doubt as you progress toward your goals at a fast clip, cruising along on calm seas under clear skies. This new atmosphere is likely the product of your renewed commitment. Reward yourself for your accomplishments, but you should wait a few days before launching an all-out celebration.
  • Weird, right? 
  • Farmland feels foreign.
  • There are a lot of farms in this country. And barns, and fields, and cows.
  • Dairy farms smell different than cows in feed lots. The latter are worse and literally make you gag but both are pungent. 
  • I was excited to see a pink barn, mostly because of its originality but also because Alana likes pink. Most other barns are red (especially in Ohio), or sometimes white. 
    Loved that pink barn!

  • I grew up in a pale pink room. When I returned from junior year abroad in London it was bordello pink. Not sure what they were thinking with that one!
  • We saw lots of people sitting on their porches. I feel like people at home have front porches but don’t use them. 
  • I’ve been craving just about any home cooking. 
  • I’ve been craving Asian flavors almost as much. Today’s lunch the Erie Flagship City Public Market hit the spot! 
    Yummy lunch at Erie food hall

  • Am going to have to start tapering food indulgence in those foods I don’t usually eat this week so enjoying some last ditch ice cream!

  • These dolphins reminded me of the dolphin park in Wantagh Park near where we grew up. My sister said she sent me videos to prove it. 
    Evoking childhood memories of Wantagh Park

  • Some days I feel like this crouching statue. Like when you’re setting out for a 90 mile ride in the pouring rain after riding nearly 300 miles in the last 3 days. 

    How I feel when it's not a good day

  • Happy rainbow fish
  • Then when it’s over you feel more like a (mostly) happy rainbow fish.
  • ...or at least drink like one... 


  • Would you ever think Pennsylvania was so close to Canada?  It’s just across the lake (hence the border patrol boats in the harbor). 
  • Don’t count your chickens before they hatch. Or your miles before you pedal them!
  • I’m a sucker for sunsets over the water, even if they are landlocked lakes. 


  • I’ve been wondering why it’s so important me for to pedal EFI. Not prepared to answer that given my cautionary tales about the cart before the horse but I'll try to address it in my post ride reflections. 
  • I hate to admit it but, despite the rain, from a pure riding standpoint the Ohio days were some of the best. But I miss the drama of the west. No so much the Missouri hills. 
  • We had some really good songs this week. But I may have ruined Sweet Caroline for an entire population of people! If you want to be one of them, you can watch it here, but it be forewarned that it is not suitable for all audiences. Viewer discretion is advised! 
  • You know you’ve reentered (somewhat) urban civilization when you go into a restaurant, ask if they have wifi and they don’t look at you cross-eyed (and the wifi actually works!)
  • I have the ability to literally crack myself (Lol, literally) while riding on an open road among wheat fields and corn. I guess that’s a good thing given what I’ve been doing the last 6 weeks!
  • Not really going there, but the political bent, at least based on signs and flags, has tilted a bit more left as we have traveled further east. Biker Bob confirmed that the area in Ohio where we rode together was politically diverse. As an example, I saw an American flag adjacent to a rainbow flag and a sign urging people to vote blue and support workers. Still saw other signs, but there was more of a mix.  
  • It has been an interesting experiment to disengage with the news cycle. I've basically not read or watched any news -- but for some weather and the occasional agricultural news several states back -- for the last 6 weeks. I wonder if I've missed anything?
Need to fold that laundry I did late last night, and get a good night's sleep, so that's all for now!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post-Ride Reflections and Ramblings

I Did It! (And Happy July 4th!) https://give.michaeljfox.org/fundraiser/4506974 I did it. It's over. I rode my bike across the USA. 3400...