Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Day 47: Troy, NY to Brattleboro, VT

Today's Ride

https://give.michaeljfox.org/barbarasbigride 

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/125473781

The Stats

82 miles
5,469 ft. climbing

Miles Completed: 3,342
Miles to Go: 107 [NOTE: I've adjusted this for what we're actually going to be riding over next few days, with full knowledge that the math does NOT add up to 3396!]
States Visited: 13 of 15
Total Climbed: 107,052 ft.

Highlights: Reaching fundraising goal (and then some!), quintessential Vermont scenery, perfect weather, and climbing Hogback Mountain.  

Challenges: Construction and completely chopped up streets for about 7 of the last 10 miles!

The Ride

With just a few exceptions (some fast-moving trucks, one guy in a car who screamed that I should "get the F--- off the road!" and some construction which destroyed the roads during the last 10 miles or so), it was a stunner of a ride. We left Troy and soon after began climbing to the east. We then reached bucolic countryside, green hills, and horse farms, under clear blue skies and in perfect temps. While it's hard for me to exactly pinpoint what makes this farmland different than those we saw in Kansas, Oklahoma, or the Midwest, it was. Maybe it was the greener rolling hills (though they had some of those in Missouri), but it all had had a distinctly different look. Maybe it was that we were following running water, which we generally didn't see in those other parts. While it was more familiar scenery than in other parts of the country we traveled, it was a challenging, yet really enjoyable ride. 
First covered bridge
Rock formations look a bit different than Arizona!

Gene's sister-in-law Cathy joined us once again --
as rider, guest Route Rap Rapper, and extra SAG support!

It reminded me how much I enjoy - and have missed -- the sound of running water (and not the shower type!) -- and just seeing water on regular basis!


Joel kept me company during the climb!
Ended the ride (after suffering through the construction) with an exploration of the town of Brattleboro. Very charming and colorful. Also loved the Whetstone Brewery, situated on the banks of the Connecticut River just past an iron bridge. Wish I had more time to enjoy, but show business called! (See Soundtracks of the Day.)
Brattleboro beer



Still trying to process that tour is winding down...more on that another time...

Guess Who I Bumped Into at the (Almost) Top of Hogback Mountain?

So here's one of the more crazy coincidences during this journey. Early on, my blog got posted on the Team Fox Athletes Facebook Group. From that post, a woman connected with me and started to follow my ride on Strava. As I was wondering about the basis of her interest in my ride (other than being a cyclist), I learned that her husband is the Chairman of the Board for the Michael J. Fox Foundation. Yesterday, she messaged me on Strava inquiring about our route today, as they (coincidentally) would be driving from Boston through Troy (where we started today), and wanted to cheer us on along the route. As I was nearly to the top of Hogback Mountain (the sort of false summit), someone in a car shouted my name -- lo and behold, it was Ann and Skip Irving! We shared hugs, selfies, and talks of the journey, before I had to continue with today's ride if I was ever going to finish - but what a motivating treat that was. Thanks to both of you for your efforts in finding me, and of course for your most generous donation!
Me with Skip and Ann Irving

P.S. These are the second group of people who I hadn't previously met who made the effort to connect with me personally on the ride ("Biker Bob" Meadows was the other!). So appreciated all around!

Speaking of Donations...

I am so pleased to report that I met -- and already exceeded -- my fundraising goal of $33,960 today! I woke to news that someone I never met made a very generous donation. But since there still is no cure for Parkinson's, I don't want the fundraising to stop there. So I hope those of you who haven't yet given will consider a gift of any size.

Soundtrack of the Day

The Route Rap Rappers were busy today, and actually had a "rehearsal" for tomorrow's performance (plus planning for our banquet performance and the real last hurrah on Friday). Stay tuned. Hint: Tomorrow we will have only "one more day" (or "one day more")!

Need to get more sleep than yesterday, as we still have to push out 90 miles and several thousand feet of climbing tomorrow! Can't count those chickens before they hatch (unless you're Talya!)

1 comment:

Post-Ride Reflections and Ramblings

I Did It! (And Happy July 4th!) https://give.michaeljfox.org/fundraiser/4506974 I did it. It's over. I rode my bike across the USA. 3400...