Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Day 46: Utica to Troy, NY

Today's Ride

https://give.michaeljfox.org/barbarasbigride 

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42182088

The Stats

102 miles
2,792 ft. climbed

Miles Completed: 3,260
Miles to Go: 187 [NOTE: I've adjusted this for what we're actually going to be riding over next few days, with full knowledge that the math does NOT add up to 3396!]
States Visited: 12 of 15
Total Climbed: 101,583 ft.

Highlights
: Crossing the Hudson; completing final century of the trip 
Challenges: Headwinds and riding 102 miles

The Route

Apologies for a shorter than usual post (some of you may appreciate the brevity!) and any typos that may ensue, but it's late, and I have lyrics to work on, hills to climb tomorrow, and need some sleep before then. Bottom line is it was not a remarkable day, but still included some nice vistas, a pleasant if unexciting bike path, and pleasant temps and weather (but for headwinds all the way -- at least they weren't too strong). It was our last century, and the group is clearly feeling the emotions of the tour winding down. 

For me, crossing Rte 9 (my daily bike route, though a bit further south), 87 (the NYS Thruway, which we've travelled many times to Camp Massad!), and the Hudson River (which I've had the distinct privilege of swimming in on 3 separate occasions!) were all significant for me, but mostly in that if I turned south I was literally just a day's (albeit a long day's) ride from home. Of course, we push onward!

Our route followed the Erie Canal once again and the Mohawk River and Valley (as well as the modern I-90), at times on busier state roads, sometimes through consistently patriotic towns, and finally on the Mohawk-Hudson Bike-Hike Trail for the last 20 miles or so. We still saw farms, though they were smaller and more sporadic than what we've seen before. I still saw redwing blackbirds, but also noted some yellow finches (if that's what they were, but at least something like that). 

Soundtracks of the Day

As the route was less compelling than others, I listened to a few podcasts (yes, they were Kevin's recommendations!). The first was about a woman who did one of the first "Spartan Death" races -- they have evolved since, but think super badass endurance and grit required to get it done (and of course she did!). Then there was one about Malcolm Gladwell literally getting schooled about debate tactics and techniques, after completely bombing a high profile debate. Finally there was an interview with now NYC Mayor Adams about health, defeating diabetes with a plant-based diet, and tackling problems bit by bit, rather than finding them too big to address. Thank you Kevin, all around, as I doubt I would've found any of them on my own and I enjoyed them each for different reasons!

Random Photos

Don't have time or patience for much more, but here's whatever else I have from today!



I continue to be struck by the patriotism of this country.

The granite looks distinctly different than the red rocks of Sedona!

Nice opening along the bike path.


Troy

A highlight was that we are staying in downtown Troy, right on the river. So it made it easier than usual to get my post-ride beer with Steph, Peter, and Todd, followed by a lovely dinner with Peter at SeaSmoke Grill across the river! 

Daily beer selfie

Me and Steph at the Brew Garden

Hamachi crudo -- a taste of civilization!


Mushroom tagliatelle

Alex at SeaSmoke

As for the route rap, we did a fairly failed version YMCA, given that we were "riding a century to T-R-O-Y"  You can find that here, if you're so inclined! We're going easy tomorrow, but have big plans for Thursday and Friday!

Employee of the Day

Alex was our bartender at Sea Smoke -- he's applying to law school trying to decide between NY and San Diego -- even with this year's rain we know which as the better weather! He took great care of us at the outdoor bar, which had a lovely view and nice evening breeze. Dinner was a treat overall. 



I also enjoyed chatting with Michelle, who was sitting nearby. She came in with angel wings on her head, which apparently referenced a charity she had raised money for in memory of her daughter. She was on a healing journey after some significant losses, and I can't even begin to understand what she's going through -- but we bonded over the fact that her mother's name was Barbara, and I tried to send her good vibes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post-Ride Reflections and Ramblings

I Did It! (And Happy July 4th!) https://give.michaeljfox.org/fundraiser/4506974 I did it. It's over. I rode my bike across the USA. 3400...