Monday, June 19, 2023

Day 45: Syracuse to Utica, NY

The Ride

https://give.michaeljfox.org/barbarasbigride 

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/125249706

The Stats

58 miles
1,486 ft. climbed

Miles Completed: 3,158
Miles to Go: 238 [NOTE: Not sure this is quite right, so either math or original mileage count was wrong! I think it's actually 289 -- but I warned early on there might be calculation glitches.]
States Visited: 12 of 15
Total Climbed: 98,792 ft.

Highlights: Another church that claims to be the smallest (though this one was on a lake), the Erie Canal (again), and glorious weather!
Challenges: Processing where we are in this ride without getting ahead of ourselves, and hoping and praying equipment and body last for the home stretch!

The Ride

Another stellar weather day -- not too hot or cold (though a bit warmer than yesterday), and bright sunshine. Winds were against us, but generally not strong enough to make too much of a difference. There was a long, gradual climb during the last section of the route, which explained the declining speed, but didn't otherwise feel too taxing. Combined with the fact that it was a short day (only 58 miles!), the group was pretty happy all around. 

We stopped just before the first SAG at what claims to be the "world's smallest church." It's perched in the middle of an algae-covered, geese swarming pond, which makes for a nice photo, but I wouldn't want to swim there!

Another self-proclaimed "world's smallest church"

I seem to recall another church making the same claim to fame back in Winslow Arizona! FWIW, at the time I googled that claim to fame and found several others. So let's just say I'm a bit skeptical about the church in the lake!
"The World's (other??) Smallest Church!"


Wondering whether there's a difference between the world's smallest church and the world's smallest chapel

Greystone Castle


We passed a large solar farm, the first I've noticed since California. Seeing it reminded me of signs we saw over the last few days objecting to solar farms (saying something like, "Farm crops, not solar panels"). Apparently this is a hot-button issue in these rural parts, with the objections much about the aesthetic change in character to the farmland. 


Our route ran parallel to the Erie Canal Path for a while and crossed the canal a few times. We learned why the route wasn't ON the path, as much of it was choppy gravel rather than the pavement we prefer. 
As for the canal itself, it was built in the early 1800's and was critical to America's expansion to the west, allowing for quicker, cheaper, and more efficient transport of goods and people.
Erie Canal


Once arriving in Utica, we had time for ice cream (adopting a "dessert first" approach to this meal), and then Mark B. (British Mark) joined me at Babe's for salads and beer. We also compared tan lines!


The Brits and their tan lines

Soundtrack of the Day

Today was a tribute to Gilligan's Island (sorry, Gilligan, for butchering it!). I have vague memories of my sister incessantly asking my grandma (who we called Cav -- don't ask, not even sure I can explain that one) to play Gilligan's Island with her. While the details are foggy, I think it involved Cav having to use a mock fishing pole to catch dinner -- or something like that. There's nothing she wouldn't have done if we asked her. 

The Route Rap Rappers are getting serious as we plot out our last few performances -- stay tuned!

Random Photos

Thanks, Lisa, for the pig and the strawberry!
Noticing the crops moving into more fruits and vegetables.




From one of the many VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars)
tributes we've passed along the way
A well-preserved Oldsmobile -- reminded me that my
 grandfather always had nice cars (I recall Cadillacs) and
 that my mother was impressed when my dad picked
her up in his convertible when they first started dating!

Employee of the Day

Thanks, Ebae, for sorting out
 a new room for me!
Today's hotel room once again had a loud AC unit (the one two nights ago was loud, but I learned too late that it was -- so rather than figure this out at 10 pm, I called the front desk around 3). Ebae promptly arrived to look at it, and concluded he needed to replace some part in the unit, which wouldn't happen until tomorrow. He took the initiative to contact the front desk to get me a new room, delivered my new key, and helped me move my gear to the room. We chatted and I learned that he actually commutes here to Utica from the Bronx, near Yankee Stadium. 3+ hours drive each way. Apparently he sometimes stays nearby but it  sounds like he regularly does the drive. He was a compassionate and spiritual man with a broad grin and quoted scripture meant to inspire and encourage, not seemingly intended to convert. He sent positive vibes all around, and given where we are in this journey, I'll take all the prayer and positivity I can get! So thank you, Ebae!

Processing Where I Am and Where I've Come From

We're all starting to realize how close we are to the end of this journey, and not quite sure what to do with it, or how we will re-enter "civilian" life. For nearly 7 weeks, all I had to think about was riding, fueling, washing, sleeping, packing, and blogging -- and then doing it again each day. The days were surprisingly busy, with little down time. As much as there was the comfort of a regular routine, each day was different and unpredictable in some way. I'm trying to process the import of it all, but for now I  continue to feel blessed and privileged for the opportunity to have done this and the support I've gotten from so many for taking on the challenge. If I have inspired a single person to do anything they've been contemplating or thought was beyond reach, that alone would make this trip a success. But with that, there's still the goal, and challenge, of riding EFI (every you know what inch). So with a big day ahead (our final century), and lyrics to compose, I'll leave it at that for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post-Ride Reflections and Ramblings

I Did It! (And Happy July 4th!) https://give.michaeljfox.org/fundraiser/4506974 I did it. It's over. I rode my bike across the USA. 3400...